September 10, 2010

FASHION'S EVERY NIGHT OUT!

I woke up this morning to go to work, and to find an empty champagne plastic glass in my car. I cracked up laughing by myself! Oh boy, I had fun last night.
After just coming back from Paris where it happened on Tuesday, September 7, the same event that took place last night in Lisbon, the expectations were high.
Fashion's Night Out is a very well thought happening whose the main goal is to promote the local stores, the city and of course, Fashion. And that was exactly what I've witnessed last night!
The event took place through Rua Castilho, Avenida da Liberdade and Chiado, where all the good stores are. And by saying that I don't mean only the high brand ones. I mean the stores that make every single one of us happy with the respective budget. So shush to the ones who have been critiquing FNO just by saying it's an elitist event. Well it's not. In fact it's the perfect opportunity for all types of crowd to have fun, for the same single reason: the joys of fashion and partying, combined together! We should do it every night!
The organization - Vogue Portugal (Mecca for some of us) - did everything they could with the few resources they had to provide us a night to remember. The stores joined the Vogue vibes and offered the public (some with more success than others) entertainment, discounts and a lot to drink! The public literally came to the streets and brought their individual fashion styles to the global movement that was being felt in the streets of Lisbon. Of course I would rather have seen more extravaganza. Don't get me wrong, it's not Carnival, but in a day like that, serious fashion statements are mandatory for God sake! I've watched careless outfits and some serious overdone ugliness! But the bottom line is, I really do think that congratulations are in order to everybody!
Now, in a different perspective, if you are one of the lucky ones who have belonged to the yellow bracelet club, (by the way that reminds me: guys! next time go for BULGARI), congrats on the fantastic lounges, the crowd really pulled out awesome ensembles and it was very cool the available Mercedes to drive us between the FNO circle.
Obviously there is space for some improvements, we always can overcome ourselves, but for a first experience that has been done for a while in other fashionable capital cities, you guys have my standing ovation!
FYI - The highlight of my FNO experience it was the MIMÍ exhibitions at Machado Joalheiro to celebrate the 10th anniversary of one of the most finest pearl jewelery label. Everybody who knows me knows I'm a sucker for pearls...!

MIMÍ, Garbo collection.