November 8, 2012

STOP AND SMELL THE COOKIES

Gabriel's Lemon Cookies

Shitty day. Unfortunately they've become a regular. But some of us, the fortunate ones, have cute little things to come home to and make it all better. Mine happens to smell insanely good, with an extra: today I got home to find my baby's hair smelling like chocolate cake. Yes. Yummy, freshly baked, luscious chocolate fudge cupcakes.
Every single day we wake up (or he) at 7 a.m., 8 a.m. (it doesn't matter if it's still dark outside), and little Gabriel goes to the kitchen, grabs a few essential baking supplies and looks at me and says: "CAKE". Clear and effective. And as much as I try to pretend I don't get it, he reluctantly keeps repeating it (and believe me, it can go on for an hour), until he brakes me and together, we start our daily task of making our home smell like a french pâtisserie, mais bien sûr :-)
Today, it was chocolate cupcakes, like I said it earlier, and that's why his golden angelic hair had the aroma of chocolate cake straight out of the oven. Mix with is natural sense. Heavenly! Needless to say that I couldn't wash his hair when I bathe him latter on. Hopefully I saved some to sniff tomorrow morning:)

Of course after baking several days in a row, I've extended our repertoire and we now have some hits. One of the crowd's pleaser is our own recipe of lemon cookies. So, after persistent requests for our top secret recipe, there you have! Enjoy.

- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 90g sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- zest of one good lemon
- 180g sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
- love and patience to wipe up the mess afterwords :)

Preheat the oven to 170º C. In a medium bowl, mix together butter, sugar, egg yolk and zest of the good lemon you bought in your local market. Gradually blend in the sifted flour and go dirty and use your hands. At this point your kid is already covered in cookie dough and started to eat it raw. Perfect! Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll out and cut it into any shape you like. you can also go crazy with some sprinkles if you have it around. Spread them onto a tray with a baking sheet. Bake it for 15 minutes or so. Better keep watching :) Delicious, pure yumminess, and the best time with you kid:) Happy Days!